Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Museum day for me - Tuesday 5-27-2014


NOTE:  Upcoming blogs - Wednesday I am gone from 7 AM to 9 PM visiting Normandy beaches and the American Cemetery above Omaha Beach (D-Day beaches). Thursday, I will be going on a Sewer tour (I ask myself why also), and I think I'll go to the Catacombs. Dinner with friends in Montmartre Thursday evening. No plans as yet for Friday. Back to California Saturday.

I slept in a little Tuesday morning because of the late night at the Eiffel Tower Monday night. And, the Rodin museum and gardens does not open until 10:00 AM. But it's just a 10 minute walk from me. And I have to pass through or by the Military museum at Les Envalides to get there, which I planned to go to on the way back from Rodin.

    Auguste Rodin self-sculpture

Clean, organized and peacful in the gardens. As I walked through the gardens, I thought that with all the shade trees, it might be a great place to come on a very hot summer day in Paris. It was at least 10 degrees cooler under the trees. And there are benches throughout to sit on. Some benches in the grass, some on the pathways like these.

    Benches are plentiful to sit and ponder the collection of sculptures in the garden

After you buy your ticket (9 euro) and enter the garden area, the path leads right to likely the most recognizable sculpture in the world. Le Penseur, or The Thinker. I like it when Rock bands begin a concert with one of their greatest hits, just to get you going. Well, beginning a tour with The Thinker is much like that. And nobody wanted to miss this opening.

    Le Penseur - The Thinker gets his own special place in the garden, and rightly so

I walked around most of the sculptures looking at the details. Front and back, Head to toe, the details and artistry are apparent. I think they are getting better sitting out in the elements (both natural elements and pigeon-made elements). Pigeons are so rude. I heard one pigeon say, "I have no time for you, Monsieur Rodin. I poop on your statues!"

    Damn Pigeons!! No rest for the weary Saint John the Baptist

Pigeons aside, I saw groups of school children coming in today. I snapped a picture of a group of children attentatively listening while a woman explained the tools and techniques Rodin used to create his masterpieces.

    Groups of school kids listen attentively (except the girl on the far left)

(Many more photos from the Rodin museum are in the link at the bottom of this page)

After leaving the Rodin museum I went right up the street to the Military museum and tomb of Napoleon at les Invalides. I've been passing by this all week to go to the metro station. 

    Tickets 9.5 euro, museum behind and Napoleon's tomb inside here in Eglise du Dome

For the military museum part, you really have to be into military history to fully enjoy this. I walked through the WW1 and WW2 exhibits. Didn't take any photos in there. Everything was behind glass and I was not happy with the quality of images. Lots of cannons and arms on display.

    Altar in Eglise du Dome

Napoleon takes center stage in the church. An entire rotunda is his for eternity.

    Napoleon's tomb inside Eglise du Dome

Walking back through the 7th district, I did a little shopping on rue Amilie and walked up rue Cler to take a couple pictures of my wine shop and fruit market.

I bought some gift bottles of wine here. 

The gentleman in the shop was very familiar with the selections and helped me pick out a couple good wines in my price range. They have reasonable prices for everyday wines too. A good one can be found for less than 10 euro.

    Looking up rue Cler from my favorite fresh fruit market

I liked to walk here in the evening and get some fruit for breakfast. Apricots, bananas and pears are my favorite to have on hand. 

Dinner again with friends tonight and meeting a guest of theirs at the RER C station at Pont de l'Alma in just a little while. 

Tomorrow will be a long day for me, and the blog may have to wait until Thursday. But, it will be a good one. I'm going to Normandy and the D-Day beaches. I'll take lots of pictures and notes for the blog.

Here's a link to the photos from today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...