Monday, May 26, 2014

Monday, 5-26-2014

Monday morning looked like rain, and I did have to pull out my umbrella occasionally during the day. I know from friends attending the French Open, that many matches were postponed due to weather.

In the photo below, I had just started my walk and started down the ramp from pont des Invalides (Invalides Bridge). I looked back and snapped this shot. The second building protruding above the trees with the tower in the background, is where the apartment is that I rented.

    Starting my walk along the Seine from quai d'Orsay

I then turned around and snapped the next shot of the pont Alexandre III bridge below. Runners, walkers, bikers, bike commuters all use this paved trail along the Seine.

    Looking toward pont Alexandre III, the most ornate bridge in Paris

I continued under that bridge to the next one, pont de la Place de la Concorde. I was just passing through Place de la Concorde this morning on my was to do a little shopping at Decathlon, a french sporting goods store. It has almost everything for camping, tennis, golf, biking, running, and the clothing for each sport. 

Decathlon did not open until 9:30 AM, so I walked the streets north of place de la Concorde for an hour or so. The rain forced me to pull out the umbrella, but it was not much more than sprinkles for the most part.

    Wet streets of Paris and light traffic early morning

After shopping, I continued walking north and ended up here at about 11:30 AM. 'Here' is the Academie Nationale de Musique. It seemed to be closed, and that could be a Monday thing. (The Rodin museum is on my places to visit Tuesday because it is closed Mondays also.)

The photo below is taken from the Opera Metro line entrance, which conveniently will take me back to near my apartment for lunch.

    Academie National de Musique, near the Opera Metro station

After lunch, I decided to take the metro to Gare de l'Est and walk some more in that area. Gare du Nord is there also, and it's around the area that Zach (my son) stayed in a youth hostel when he visited Europe. 

Now the crowds were out in force. Around the train stations is what can only be described as controlled mayhem. Taxis, buses, people everywhere (many not knowing exactly where they need to go, or how to get there), motorcycles and cars. It is fun to watch, and I did just that, because I did not have to be anywhere. 

    Cars, motorcycles, people and buses at the Gare du Nord train station.

    Gare de l'Est train station entrance - not as chaotic as Gare du Nord

    Train stations are like shopping malls - Clothing stores and places to eat or get coffee abound

I continued walking away from the train stations into the 10th district just to see the everyday street scenes. I remembered from my reading that bus 69 and 42 were good buses to take to see sights and main streets of Paris. I had taken the 69 bus last week from near the Eiffel Tower out to Pere Lachaise cemetery, following the Seine river, crossing it and coming back through the Louvre.

Bus 42 leaves Gare du Nord, goes through place de la Concorde, and eventually down Champs Elysee, across pont de l'Alma bridge back to the Eiffel Tower. About 5:00 PM I decided to head back to Gare du Nord to try and catch bus 42 for some sightseeing from it before heading back to the apartment. The metro is faster, but if you have the time, the buses offer a different perspective.

    Approaching Gare du Nord to catch the 42 bus back to the 7th district & Eiffel Tower

I'm going to have to watch the first Bourn Identity movie again, because I think the 1st scene of the big Paris car chase starts just down this street on the right. Marie just left to get something to drink while Jason went into the train station to stash his bag. He does a U-turn coming toward where I'm standing and the chase is on. I like movies with scenes of places I've been.

Anyway, I got on the 42 bus and sat next to an older man who spoke no English. But, with my very limited French we were able to communicate. He was telling me everywhere I should visit and pointing out the $10,000 rolexes in the windows along Champs Elysee and the $3 - $4 million dollar apartments above the shops. I asked him if he lived on Champs Elysee (Habitez vous, ici, en Champs Elysee, Monsier?). I learned a couple new, choice french words, which I gather meant 'No, sir, I do not live on this street.'

The gentleman showed me where he thought I should get off to get back to my apartment, and it was the perfect location. A walk from the Eiffel Tower, down Saint Dominique, and I was home to take a shower, clean up the apartment a bit, and do dishes before heading to my friends' apartment nearby for dinner.

Here's where we ended the evening.

    About 10:00 PM - we went to the second level (top was closed)

    Looking west to the Trocadero at night

After leaving about 11:45 PM, we looked for, and found, a nice crepery to get a lemon and sugar crepe, but it had already closed. We said our goodbyes and now I'm getting ready for another day here.

Here is the link to these and more photos from today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...