Sunday, May 12, 2024

Love Lost

The hill where we shared a sled so long ago,
Is dusty and bare, with just a vain comb-over of weeds 
Here and there pretending to be grass.

You held me tight through the finish line, though
There was no racing but my heart.
The flakes of snow on your cheeks sparkled
As bright as the smile in your eyes.

What can I say to an angel?
How do I thank the sunshine?

My heart in my throat left a bittersweet love
That I've not tasted since that cold December morning
Looking into the eyes of an angel.

This hill is my refuge from what might have been.
As the moon rises into the throat of the night,
And stars sparkle on the cheeks of the heavens,
I smile and promise I'll one day visit your grave.

Now, for my angel to hear again,
I say the words I could not say then.
I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hickory Nut-Picking (Hocking Hills, Ohio)

We’ll go hickory nut picking the first frost, I know. And again, I know, I won’t want to go. When it’s just too cold to get out of bed Under...