Monday, May 20, 2024

How I met your mother (June 1980, Shasta County, CA)

The sign said Fresh Rabbit - $6.
She was skinning the rabbits out back,
And throwing the fur into a fire.
“We just eat ‘em,” She looked
Back to see if I was listening,
“We don’t wear ‘em, goodness sake.”
 
At ten weeks old, I learned,
They are tender and don’t need
To cook all day in a crock pot.
“Tastes a lot like chicken if you cook ‘em
With Stove-top stuffing,” she
Offered, “All white meat, too.”
 
She held another by the hind legs,
And hatcheted off the head into
The pile of heads in the grass.
“Here now,” she held out the quivering carcass
To me, “Cut just below the foot
And pull the fur and skin down and off the neck.”
 
It was too slippery to grab the skin.
So I used her vice grips
To pull the skin off easy.
“You can skin a chicken that way too,” she looked
Back to see if I was listening, 
“We don’t eat chicken skin anymore, anyway.”
 
I washed the entrails out with the hose.
She held another by the hind legs,
And hatcheted off the head into
The pile of heads in the grass.
“This will go faster now with your help,” she smiled,
“Then we’ll go do something fun.”

We went bowling.
And, that’s how I met your mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hickory Nut-Picking (Hocking Hills, Ohio)

We’ll go hickory nut picking the first frost, I know. And again, I know, I won’t want to go. When it’s just too cold to get out of bed Under...