Thursday, May 22, 2014

Visiting Metz, Joeuf and Homecourt in Lorraine French Region

Yesterday, Thursday, 5/22/2014, I took the high speed TGV train to Metz, a city in the Lorraine region of France. It's about 3 hours by car east towards Germany, and 1 hour 24 minutes by TGV from Paris. Do not be late for the trains in France. They run like clockwork. Metz is a beautiful city with walking areas, restaurants and boulangeries to make it hard to decide where to eat.

    I arrived at the train station at 9:04 AM as scheduled

I arrived about an hour before my friends were to pick me up, so I got to stroll around the area of the train station for awhile. We were certainly the tourists today. After lunch, and before visiting the family in Joeuf and Homecourt, we had time for a self-guided tour of Cathedrale Saint Etienne, and a ride on a very non-indiscrete tour train through the city. One kid walking with his friends yelled in French, "Smile! You're in Metz, for God's sake!" I hope he was talking to the Germans on board, because I'm sure we were laughing and smiling the whole time.

    6 euros for about an hour tour of Metz. Worth the 6 euros to see the main sights

I finally did it. I had my first eclaire. (My friend, Nancy, could not believe I had never had one.) Well that is worth a picture!

    Jerry tries his first eclaire - Chocolate of course

I would like someday to spend more time in this area of France. This first trip is primarily the standard tourist faire to Paris, Versailles, Normandy, Monet's Gardens, etc. But, here in Lorraine live family of friends whom I've visited with in Sacramento, and now visited and stayed with here.

   Pizza and wine and lots of conversation (little of which I understood) in Homecourt near Joeuf

We played guitars and sang. Anthony brought two of his acoustic guitars and an amp, so we all took turns playing what we knew, and singing. Mirabelle, both the liquor and in the tarte topped off my evening. Mirabelle plums grow abundantly in the Lorraine region (and in yards) and are a most delectable delight. 

    Eric, Anthony and Michelle take turns playing guitar

We couldn't resist eating Corrinne's home-made mirabelle tartes on the yellow tray. Mmmm. Wish I could bring some home with me. I'm wondering if the mirabelle plums are grown anywhere in California.

As usual, below is a link to all the photos I took on Thursday. Thanks for reading.





1 comment:

  1. The cathedral is beautiful. You've never had an éclair??? Good friends, good food, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...