Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Monet's Gardens, 5/20


    There's always something to do in the garden

I went to Monet's Gardens and home today. I took the train from gare St. Lazare station to Vernon. It is a comfortable 50 minute ride in 2nd class seating. (27 euros round trip). Then it's a quick 15 minute bus ride to Giverny where the gardens and home are. (8 euros round trip). The gardens and home tour costs 9.50 euros.

It was a perfect day for seeing what Monet saw. We had full sunshine, a mix of clouds and sun, and rain showers at the end. Gardeners and workers were busy pruning or cleaning debris from the lily pond. For all the foot traffic, the gardens are relatively undisturbed.

    It's easy to find your way around

    Is that an orange California poppy I see in the mix?

There are so many flowers and flowering vines, we were guessing what they all were. Iris? Gladiolas? Clematis? Christine from New Orleans commented that she wished they had little signs to inform us what kinds of flowers we were seeing. I agree. I guess it would be very helpful to bring along an identification book of flowers. I don't doubt that they may sell such a book in the gift store, though I don't recall seeing one. (I wasn't looking for one, though)

    This can't be Monet's boat. It surely would have rotted over the years

    On my way to see the famous water lily pond

I understand the pond changes each season and even with the light of day. I read that Monet had several paintings going at once, and he would move from painting to painting as the light changed. My iPhone camera is good enough for these blog photos. But, if you do come here, bring along the best camera you can afford. The views are beatiful and you can wait to get just the right shot between the groups of tourists. 

    Water lilies in the shade of a passing cloud

Sometimes, parts of the pond are shaded and other parts in sunshine at the same time. Monet must have been running from easel to easel on a day like today. Can you imagine having the time to paint one painting? I have got to get my Easel out of the shed when I get home. (You too, Nancy!)

    Reflections of willow and sky on the pond.

If you squint, you can see the blurry impressionism that Monet saw as he began to lose his sight in later years. I think it's time to dig out that old coffee-table book of impressionist paintings and wander the pages from Monet to Manet to Renoir. 

Before catching the bus to Vernon, we sat under an umbrella in the rain at a cafe in Giverny. I had a sandwich and beer while chatting. Then we headed for the bus. The train left Vernon for Paris at 2:49 PM as scheduled.

The trip home was uneventful, except for Antoine on the train, who, if he is to be believed, was on his way to the airport to go to New York to make money as a physical therapist, and run in Central Park. 
And, he loves the American women. Look out, beautiful American women, Antoine is on his way.

I did get the chance to help Christine get familiar with the Metro from the St. Lazare metro station to Invalides station. I learn more when I'm helping others learn, than on my own. But, I have to give most credit to the Metro app on my iPhone, which works off-line and maps start and end points, and gives me written directions from any metro station to another in Paris. 

    This iPhone app is available free for Paris and other cities, and it works well.

Christine went to the Musee d'Orsay, and I bet she made it OK on the metro afterwards to get back to her friends for dinner. 

Here is a link to all the photos from the gardens:


1 comment:

  1. The flowers are beautiful. Your pictures are perfect for framing. I especially like his home and gardens picture. I'm enjoying your blogs and pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...