Saturday, May 24, 2014

Etoges, Champagne region, 5-23-2014

We left Joeuf in the Lorrain region near Metz and headed to the village of Etoges on Fridary morning (5-23-2014). The drive was uneventful. That's because Nancy (Eric's wife) drove and we just annoyed her as backseat drivers. Despite Nancy's insistence on finding the nearest tree for us, she did give in to our backteeth-floating demands to stop at one of the regularly spaced rest areas along the way. I'm certainly glad we did because I got to see the french way of instructing us to the men's or women's water closets.

    Women - Shall we dance?

    Men - Dance? Uh... I don't dance.

The village of Etoges is one of several that are able to be seen from vinyards for the region's champagne wineries. It is quiet, and you do not see much traffic. 

    Etoges main drag

We went straight to the Chateau d'Etoges to check in and drop off our bags. I was not prepared for the ... je ne sais quoi ... picturesque setting we were in and the beauty of the chateau.

    Me at Chateau Etoges in Champagne region France - stayed one night


    Chateau d'Etoges - We even have our own moat to keep the rabble from rowsing us

After we dropped the bags off in the room, we all went to the Champagne winery next door. We were the only ones in there and the owner/proprietor served us a sampling of Champagne. Next he offered to give us a tour of the whole operation from press to bottling. I understood some of what he said, but relied on Eric and Nancy to translate as we learned. I understood about the two-step process of fermentation and carbonation. Having fermented beer in a large glass carboy, and then carbonating in bottles with a little sugar helped me to understand that part of the process. 

The best part was trying another sample before buying a bottle. Don't yet know where I'll drink it, or with whom, but I can't bring it back since I'm not checking luggage.
    The Champagne lesson at Borel - Lucas was so informative

After champagne, Eric and I headed over to check out the free bikes. They were mountain bikes that were well used, but seemed to be well maintained. We rode around town and the vinyards. 

Here's Eric ready to ride.
    Eric and I rode to Eglise Beauray after checking out the village of Etoges

As usual, there is a link to all the Etoges photos at the bottom of this blog entry.

We had a dinner reservation at the restaurant at the chateau at 8:00 PM. For those of you in the Sacramento area, it reminded me of Hawks in Granite Bay with the attentiveness of the staff. Personnally, I think it went about an hour too long (we left at about 11:00 PM) and there was more food than I needed, but maybe that's the french way. Also, I am finding out that it is hard to be a vegetarian here. I will continue to try, but ... when in Rome ...

Here is a photo of the most delicious sorbet I think I've ever had.
    Fraise (strawberry) Rhubarb sorbet, and yes I ate it all!

Please check out all the photos at the link below. Yes, I am having a nice time here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115341939820582416057/ChateauDEtoges52314?authkey=Gv1sRgCKeVxILKmqaGYQ


 

1 comment:

  1. With all the walking and riding bikes it's OK to enjoy all the good food. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...