Sunday, May 18, 2014

2nd Day in Paris, Sunday 5/18

(Note:  Inserted at bottom of this entry is the lighted-up Eiffel Tower at the end of this day)

I ate a light breakfast in my apartment, took a shower and started walking to Champs Elysee and the Arc de Triumphe at 9:00 AM. My walking route was quai d'Orsay to pont de l'Alma. I crossed the bridge to beautiful Place de l'Alma where I had to take my first picture of the day. 

    Place de l'Alma just across the bridge from quai d'Orsay. What a view from the cafe.

Avenue George V is a short walk to Avenue Champs Elysee. I really like the wide walkways along the entire boulevard. And the shade trees are abundant on both sides. 

    Choose to walk in either shade or sun the entire Champs Elysee

I did take a photo of the McDonalds, only because my tour book describes it as the most profitable McDonalds in the world. Now is that because of all the people eating here? Or because of the prices they charge?

    McDonalds on Champs Elysee competes with Renault and Mercedes for my business

From Avenue George V, I turned left and got a good view of the arc. Despite the restoration going on up top, it is impressive and free to walk around. I took a lot of pictures to bore you with. (You can see them in the link at the end of this blog entry). I have Rick Steve's Paris 2014 guide with me. It is very informative to pull out as I continue my walk down Champs Elysee toward Place de la Concorde and Tuileres Gardens. As I write this entry at 11:30 AM, I am sitting just inside the Tuileres Gardens in one of the green chairs around the large pond with a view of the obelisk in the center of Place de la Concorde  and the Arc du Triomphe in the distance. Below are photos of where I sat while writing this.

    Where I sat while starting to write the text of this blog

   My view while I started this blog entry

I used iCloud Pages to start this blog. Happy that Pages works offline. Back at the apartment, I can add in the photos that go with the text here.

I'm continuing on through Tuileres Gardens to the Louvre. I did stop at the public restroom at the entrance to Tuileres Gardens. It costs .70 euros and is clean and not busy. I recommend it. And as Jack Nicholson said, "Never pass up a restroom..." among other things for men of a certain age.

Speaking of men of a certain age - Here I am taking a selfy at the Louvre.

    Put some sunscreen on, Jerry!

I did have sunscreen with me, and I needed it today. What is this ,,, California? I bought an umbrella and everything for this trip!

After walking around the outside of the Louvre, I wanted to go to pont des Arts and look at all the locks people attach to the bridge. I heard a story recently on NPR about the locks and how the authorities do not like it. But, from what I saw, It is not going to end. No way they could ever cut off all the locks.

    Yes, those are all locks declaring a couple's undying love

I saw a couple attach a padlock to the collection and throw the key into the Seine. I understand from the NPR report that you used to be able to see through the sides of the bridge. No more.

I stopped at a boulangerie and bought some bread and jam and headed back to the apartment. Arrived back at 2:00 PM, ate lunch and took a siesta. I left at 4:30 PM to go to the American church where they have free concerts at 5:00 PM every Sunday night. Tonight it was a piano player and a soprano. Man, they were good. And they had a large, appreciative audience. Walked for an hour in the 7th arrondissement and back to the room at 7:00 PM for some Rose wine. this blog, and tea before heading out

I'm off now at about 8:45 PM to see the Eiffel Tower lit up at night. I'll finish today's entry after I get back from that.

I layed under the Eiffel Tower and took the photo below.

    They lit the tower at 9:35 PM tonight. This was taken a bit later.

Here is the link to the photos from today, and I'll add more from the lit-up Eiffel Tower.


2 comments:

  1. This is so educational. Looks like you are having a great time. I forgot about the bridge of locks. Great to have a snapshot up close. The tower at night looked perfect. This is a great way to start my day... reading your blogs. Enjoy Grinny!!

    KR

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tower is beautiful at night. Really enjoying all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...