Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Top 5 Idol Guys & Girl - 5/4/2010 My Results

Frank Sinatra songs tonight made our choice easy as to who should go home and who should stay. Casey was like a lost puppy off his leash. He was all over the place and once in awhile he found the right note. Take away his guitar and his comfort zone is completely gone. And Crystal was almost as uncomfortable. She just seems a bit too hardened or wise to the world to get many votes this week. I think she'll come back strong and eventually win it, if they let her sing songs in her own style. No more country. No more crooners. Just let them sing songs of their own choosing and let the chips fall.

#5 - Casey James - Blue Sky
Worst song choice of the night. What was he thinking. His voice was shot. He was all over the place. This is the first week I thought he deserved the bottom slot. I don't think he'll be back after this debacle. Too bad, because I do think he'd do much better with his guitar and own song choices than Aaron.

#4 - Aaron Kelly - Fly me to the moon
It really doesn't matter what genre Aaron sings. Love songs, standards, Classic Rock... They are all too much song for him. Really, he is just not enough man for them. Because he is a boy. And in Euchre, the first rule when taking a trick is 'Never send a boy!' He'll be around for another week, only because of Casey's bad performance. There is a slight chance he could be the one leaving, and I would rather see him go than Casey.

#3 - Crystal Bowersox - Summer Wind
This is the lowest I've ranked Crystal. She needs to get back to her guitar and show us her best. I think she'll do that beginning next week. Tonight, she was in the top three, not the bottom three. Aaron and Casey were in the bottom two by themselves. Out of the others' league tonight. I predict Crystal will come back with a vengeance.

#2 - Mike Lynche - The way you look tonight
Sinatra songs are his forte. He could have chosen almost any one of them and done them justice. He seems comfortable on stage and in this genre. I would call him cliche, but how could he not be when he sings Sinatra.

#1 - Lee DeWyze - That's Life
I'm liking Lee more and more each week. This week, I had to rank him number 1. If he gets his confidence going just a bit more (don't be so polite and nice) he'll give Crystal a run to the final two. He performs better than he talks or stands there. Needs to smile confidently more instead of getting that paint-stirrers look in his eyes as the judges are commenting. Good job Lee.

2 comments:

  1. The general consensus seems to be that Ol' Blue Eyes did no favors for anyone except Big Mike and Lee. If anything, it only highlighted some vocal and performance limitations of the frontrunners. I found myself wondering why the judges keep telling singers each week to "make it your own", "keep it real" and "make it relevant" but then choose a style that very few, if any, professional pop singers today could pull off (except maybe Cyndi Lauper...didn't she do a Sinatra-styled album once? I'm sure it sounded like Minnie Mouse on helium) Lee was the only one who did all of the above. Mike kept it classic Sinatra-style and did very well but that's his thing, so no surprises there.

    This leaves us with a conundrum: we have a show that is already dropping in the ratings and bored enough people to change channels to see what's on Animal Planet because we are asking future "pop" stars to perform 50-year old material with the expectation that the target age group (12-30 year olds) will be interested. Not to mention that it shows us that few in this group (i.e.; generation) really have the talent to pull off a lot of these different styles (Stones, Sinatra, etc) required of them. Should Casey be voted off because he didn't do well singing Sinatra? I don't think so really because he has proven himself as a "pop" singer. But will he be voted off tonight, I'd say most definitely. But he'll be okay and he'll do well. I'll be sorry to see him go because he made the show interesting. Lee did well but I still am frustrated that he doesn't give us the "whole package"...or since today is Cinco de Mayo...the "whole enchilada". Do I want this guy as my American Idol? Still not sure. Anyway, it might be between him, Crystal and Big Mike.


    Personal note to Nancy Sinatra: please don't hog the Botox and lip plumper injections...there are people in third-world countries who desperately need it. Your boots should have walked you right outta' there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments. I especially like the Nancy Sinatra comments. I was trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with her face. OMG, I thought she was Jack Nicholson as the Joker in drag!. But you set me straight with your observations about the botox and lip plumper injections. She was scary. I noticed Simon hugged her sister, but got the heck back to his chair before he had to go near Nancy S.

    I'm afraid Casey may be leaving us, as well as most of the viewing audience because of making them sing 50 year old songs that no young person cares about. Yea, Yea,... My mother loves those songs too.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...