Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Top 2 - And the winner is ... 25 May 2010

Going into the competition tonight I believed Lee DeWyze was the most improved and deserved to be in the top 2. I still believe that. I also felt that he would nail all three of his songs and be hands-down the better singer/performer tonight. He did a great job, and better than the 8 (who were voted off in previous weeks) could have done.
But...
Crystal Bowersox proved decidedly that she is the better singer, had the better songs and wanted it more than Lee. She nailed all three of her songs. Her voice and style remained true to who she was, is and will be as a singer. When one of her songs comes on the radio, you'll know right away it is Crystal. She is ready, musically and vocally, for a recording contract and tour.
And...
The only thing I wish we had seen tonight, besides Lee stepping it up a notch, was another duet with Lee and Crystal. Maybe tomorrow? They sing well together and I think that should be part of the show tomorrow.
So...
Whoever wins deserves the title of American Idol. I do think that Crystal won the competition. I used the scorecard I developed to rate each singer as they sang each song, and Crystal had one more point than Lee for each song. Crystal's total points: 47 ... Lee's total points: 44
I think Crystal Bowersox should be the next American Idol, but those finicky voters will probably vote for Lee DeWyze. He was the underdog tonight, and Americans like to vote for the underdog, don't they?

Comments?
Jerry

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Crystal should have been the next American Idol but I'm actually OK with Lee winning. He sounded really good on Wednesday night, he seemed confident and like he was enjoying himself, and I do believe he is genuinely humbled by this whole experience. His reaction Wednesday showed he was honestly in amazement that he had won. So congrats to him...I hope he does well.

    Crystal had an amazing night Wednesday. Her voice was so good and other than the lame duets she was forced to sing with Alannis Morisette and Joe Cocker she sang her heart out. I think she will make the album she wants to make and she'll do very well (probably better than if she won). I liked the duet between her and Lee, I just wish the producers had let them finish the whole song without ruining with Joe Spaz Cocker.

    Overall, the whole show was just ok. I'm positive Janet Jackson was synching, Christina Aguilera looked like Eva Peron on heroin, and the rest of the old guys (Bee Gees, Chicago, Alice Cooper) were just okay. Its sad to see what age does to the voice (and the belly). Other than some dumb stuff that the producers thought would be funny (giving unstable rejects a microphone and 20 million viewers...what did they think would happen...duh!) Stupid and classless. And Paula should have had a teleprompter...they should know not to let her adlib!

    But, as the great Mick Jagger says "It's all over now." So we'll wait to see who takes Simon's seat and how season 10 fares for AI. I will definitely be watching the X Factor next year. This has been a great blog, I hope you continue it next season! Thanks for letting me voice my humble opinions.
    T

    ReplyDelete

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...