Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Casey is out of the competition - 5/19/2010

There really were no surprises tonight. Casey clearly was the one who was destined to go tonight. He'll do great and I look forward to watching how everything turns out for him.

But imagine how the audience, both there and at home, would have reacted had Ryan Seacrest said Casey was the first one to be coming back next week instead of Lee. Leaving Lee and Crystal standing there knowing one would have left tonight. That's what I was hoping for, just to see the audience reaction. I knew it would not happen, but it was nice to imagine.

I do enjoy watching the crowds come out for the hometown visits. That really is a special day for these contestants. I liked when Casey went back to the hospital and when Lee went back to the paint store.

Next week should be worth watching. Will there be a duet? Will Lee zoom past Crystal? I think we've seen Crystal's peak and Lee will only keep getting better. They are pretty even now, but I believe Lee is going to win it. I think he'll be the better Idol. Seems to me the odds favor the guitar-playing, white male singer. A la David Cook and Chris Allen. Do we see a pattern here? Maybe it is more an indication of the idol audience than of the winner's talent.

Good Luck to Crystal and Lee!

Comments?
Jerry

2 comments:

  1. I think Casey will do great fronting his own band. He'll do very well and even though, as Megan said, "It's hard to see nice people get voted off", I think he'll be fine.

    I was actually very moved watching Lee's trip home. He was absolutely overwhelmed with emotion and that alone made me really want him to win now. I hope that he can deliver the "whole package" as I had bemoaned in earlier posts. But winning this will be an incredible boost to his self esteem and to his talent. What a breath of fresh air....a singer who actually doesn't believe he's good. (Take that Sting!) Now, having said that, in order to be successful I think a person has to develop some exterior confidence to be a performer. People won't believe in him if he acts like he doesn't believe in himself. But I don't see this as a big problem for long because right now he has a nice mix of "Aw shucks" and "Hey I can do this" and it's very refreshing. Let's hope the record industry Beezelbubs won't exchange his soul for a price too soon. All in all, I'm excited to see if he wins. I think it could be a very emotional moment.

    Post-script on Justin Bieber: he is cute, and he does have a nice voice but I'm pretty sure he was synching that song last night. Couple of times where his mike wasn't near his mouth but we could hear his voice singing. I liked the drums at the end. Overall, it was more tolerable than most of the guest acts this year. I wonder who's going to be at next week's finale? Maybe Lady Gaga will come back to do her entire "unedited" set...haha! Is there anybody left in the music world who hasn't performed yet? Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I just sent you an email wherein I proposed that Sting be Simon's replacement. And you mention him here! I may have to elevate that proposal.

    Bieber is too cute, too manufactured, I see him having need for some serious MarbleFree therapy in the future, a la Britney Spears.

    Is there anybody left who hasn't performed yet? How about the next idol judge ... Sting?

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...