Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Top 7 Idol Guys & Girls - 4/20/2010 My Results

It's like watching two different shows in one. Crystal Bowersox comes out and entertains us at the end of the show. The other six contestants are competing for runner up. Crystal may not be the best ever on the show, but there's no one there tonight who performs like her.

So here're my rankings and ratings beginning with the best and going down to the worst.

#1 - Crystal Bowersox - 15 points - People get ready
No guitar tonight. She began the song acapella and could have sung the song all the way through without any instruments backing her up. Perfectly on key. But that would have blown the judges away even more. She sang that song like it really meant something to her. But that's how she sings every song. They better have her go last every week so people will stick around to watch the whole show.

#2 - Lee DeWyze - 13 points - The Boxer
Lee is putting a bit more emotion into his songs and he has a decent, if not original, voice. He beat out Casey slightly this week, but we'll see if he can keep up the good work. I think Casey has the better musical work ethic. I don't think Lee will be able to maintain. We'll see. But a good performance this week.

#3 - Casey James - 12 points - Don't Stop
Casey is comfortable. Casey is talented. Casey is good enough to win idol runner up this year. He is not as pure of an entertainer as Crystal, but is mature enough and confident enough to beat the other 5. I like Casey and I think he knows he's hit the jackpot this year. Can we blame him if he plays it safe? But too safe, and Lee will win runner up this year.

#4 - Michael Lynche - 11 points - Hero
I'd really like to see Michael Lynche sing a song that is not so sappy sweet and cliche one of these weeks. But, I don't think he really has the voice or stage-presence to pull off anything but his patronizing love song drivel. Points-wise, Michael is #4, but if he goes on Wednesday night, nobody will care. Ditto that for the rest of them below.

#5 - Tim Urban - 10 points - Better Days
Every time Tim smiles, he reminds me of a used car salesman, or of a second-grader who was just told to "say Cheese" for his class picture. If he was not such a Mr. Clean, he might pull off one of these songs. His song choice is pretty good for his age and style, unlike Siobhan's and Aaron's choices. I'll blast them in a minute below. Tim may just stick around another week, but only because Aaron and Siobhan are still here.

#6 - Aaron Kelly - 9 points - I believe I can fly
I'd like to see Aaron's CD collection or iTunes library. Is there any contemporary song in there? He picks the biggest songs that he can't hope to sing. His voice is getting weaker, or maybe it just seems that way when he attempts to belt out one the classics he chooses. He reminds me of an eighty-year-old man in a seventeen-year-old's body. Disheveled and unkempt. If he'd pull his jeans up over his belly button, he'd be my Grandpa Bob! I'll bet he sat alone in the lunch room in high school last year at the nerd table. He just does not get it. He's not the soloist in the High School spring concert, but that's where his mind and talent are. And he never will get it. Bye bye maybe.

#7 - Siobhan Magnus - 8 points - When you believe
I'm sure she hit some of those notes on key tonight, but I didn't hear it. Just flat and pitchy all the way through. The only thing I could think about was the salad she was wearing on her dress. I was getting hungry. I think she hopes her outfits will distract us from her singing. If we're lucky, they do distract us. She took on a lot more song than she could handle (and she can't handle much). The worst part, though, has to be when they let her talk about her song choice. I just want to slap her when she talks. "SPIT IT OUT!" I guess I shouldn't criticize the special needs contestant too much. If we're lucky, she'll be gone tomorrow. If not, we'll still be lucky because Aaron, or Tim, or Michael will be gone.

Comments?
Jerry

3 comments:

  1. I think we're finally separating the "men from the boys" this week. We're just waiting for the rest of America to recognize this and begin eliminating the boys. I think your points are right on...I can't really disagree with anything you've mentioned (does that make me a Dittohead?) Alas, given the paucity of performances it's hard to choose who might be going tonight. I'm going to say that Siobhan goes home tonight, with Aaron and Tim rounding out the bottom 3.

    As a side note, did you notice that the recap at the end of the show didn't show Crystal breaking down, it showed a different ending to her song where she wasn't crying? Was it from a rehearsal? And why would they change it? If you Tivo'd it take a second look and see what you think.

    Anyway, let's see what happens tonight. I say Bye Bye salad-dressing Speshul needs contestant)

    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they have always done the recap of contestants from an earlier rehearsal. It has been noticed before. That way, they don't have to produce the recap on the fly during the live show. It is usually not as noticeable as for Crystal.

    I think Siobhan should go, but there are a lot of similar guys splitting the votes, so Tim or Aaron could get the short end of the voting stick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think either Siobhan or Aaron should go. At least Siobhan didn't scream so high like all the other performances. The Aaron guy's voice is so weak. I agree with giving him only nine points because he just does not have enough talent out there. He might get kicked out tonight if we're lucky. I liked Casey's guitar solo, he was OK out there but I give him a "B+" for Casey.
    Jake

    ReplyDelete

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...