Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What little things annoy you?

While we wait with bated breath for American Idol to begin a new season, perhaps I can share and solicit some common annoyances. They may simply be pet peeves of mine or yours. Here are three of mine.

Letters to the editor that use the words 'me thinks' in them. I stop reading when I stumble over those words. Does anybody (who is under the age of 95) really use those words other than to try and sound...I don't know what the word is...haughty or condescending?

Another pet peeve of mine is talking heads, professors, car salesmen, or anyone really, who wears a bow tie. Can you really take anything someone says seriously who wears a bow tie? Me thinks not! Maybe George Will said something profound on Meet the Press, but I'll never know, because his bow tie was distracting me from hearing his profundity.

I don't know why this annoys me, but I notice it does. People who stand in the kitchen to eat breakfast or lunch when there is a perfectly good dining table and chairs, or kitchen counter with bar stools to sit at. It makes me feel like we're in a hurry to get somewhere and we really need to wolf down this bowl of oatmeal or sandwich so we can get to doing whatever it is we need so desperately to do.

Go ahead. Send in your pet peeve annoyances. Limit your peeves to three annoyances. I could go on and on.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. President:
    After much difficulty narrowing down my pet peeves to just 3, here there are:

    1. Attributing perceived changes in public activity to The Recession. For instance, newspaper articles that state families are resorting to renting movies instead of going to theaters because of The Recession. Methinks not, she said twitching her bow tie testily! Avatar is now at $30 million receipts and counting and Blockbuster just filed for Chapter 13. Hmmm. This reminds me of the article in the Food section several years ago about the resurgence in "comfort food" after 9/11. Go figure.

    2. Bluetooth headsets. Yes, I know its the law while you're driving but when did it become okay to walk and talk to this blinking blue Star Trek gadget growing out of your ear? When I was a kid and we saw someone walking down the street talking to themselves we would roll our eyes and give each other the "crazy sign" (you know, spinning your index finger around your ear...maybe it's not politically correct to do that anymore, due to The Recession). I really don't want to hear about how well your boils were lanced while I'm eating at Chipotle.

    3. Swiffer mops. I don't think they're as great as everyone says. The idea is great, but the solution leaves a film on my floor and I have to go over the whole thing again with a towel and water anyway. I've tested the swiffer mop pad against a regular paper towel and the paper towel wins handily.

    Whew! Thanks for letting me air my peeves (that just doesn't sound right...)I feel better already!
    Tara M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for airing your peeves, Tara! If we get enough peeves aired we'll have a book.

    ReplyDelete

Poetry You got in the way (A Caregiver's respite) Your memories have long since gone away Still, I wait for you to say Through shadows o...